Beethoven: Piano Concertos 1-5 (CD review)

Rudolf Buchbinder, piano; various orchestras and conductors. DG 486-0494 (3-disc set).

By John J. Puccio

When I saw the name “Rudolf Buchbinder” on the cover of this set, I recognized one thing immediately and another thing a moment later. I realized I was familiar with the name, probably because this Czechoslovakian-born, Austrian classical pianist (b. 1946) has been around for almost as long as I have; has played in most of the world’s top concert halls and with most of the world’s top orchestras; and has made dozens of recordings spanning over sixty years in the business of making music. But then I also realized that I hadn’t heard a single thing the man had ever played, whether on record or in person. How could this be? Maybe he’s more popular in Europe than in America? I dunno.

In any case, the present album is, according to Amazon, Buchbinder’s third recording of the complete Beethoven piano concertos, these present ones made live in 2019 and 2020, just before the onset of the pandemic. And the names involved are all the best in the business: the Gewandhaus Orchestra under Nelsons; the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra under Jansons; the Munich Philharmonic under Gergiev; the Staatskapelle Dresden under Thielemann; and the Vienna Philharmonic under Muti. The names don’t get much bigger than that. So, yes, Buchbinder is a world-class pianist. Does he deserve the adulation and honors he has received over the decades? Judging by the current album, certainly; although I would by no means declare any of these performances definitive or surpassing the dozens of fine recordings already available, separately or in complete sets. For that honor he would have had to impress me more than Kovacevich, Perahia, Richter, Ashkenazy, Brendel, Gilels, Kempff, Arrau, and others, which he didn’t do. So, no, I wouldn’t classify the present set as the final word on the subject, even though it has its merits.

The program opens on disc one with the Piano Concerto Nos. 1 in C major, op. 15, with Andris Nelsons leading the Gewandhaus Orchestra accompanying Buchbinder. Beethoven wrote the Concerto No. 1 in 1795, premiered it with himself as soloist, and then revised it slightly in 1800. Like Concerto No. 2, the first concerto is sort of Beethoven light, still showing the earmarks of Mozart and Haydn in its style and execution. It sounds more blithe, more carefree, than the composer’s later concertos. The Gewandhaus Orchestra was already an established ensemble by the time Beethoven arrived on the scene, so we would expect them to know the music inside out. Maestro Nelsons leads a fairly spirited orchestral accompaniment, while Buchbinder maintains a clear, classical line. Although his playing may not be so playful or youthful-sounding as some other performers, it is certainly smooth and accomplished. Every phrase is tenderly served, the slow movement particularly sweet, resulting in a carefully structured, easy, and charming interpretation.

Coupled with No. 1 on disc one is the Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major, Op. 19, which Beethoven published in 1795 but had been working on since around 1787. Here, Mariss Jansons and the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra accompany the soloist. Buchbinder appears a bit more relaxed and free this time around, and his playing technique is really a marvel of dexterity and drive. Yet while he can be quite forceful, he is also quite warm and delicate when need arises. Still, he doesn’t strike me as being as flowing or affectionate in his reading as Kovacevich. While both he and Jansons seem to miss some of the mischievousness of the final movement, they give it their professional best and still produce an accomplished reading.

Disc two opens with the Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37, Buchbinder accompanied by Valery Gergiev and the Munich Philharmonic. No. 3 is a kind of transitional concerto for Beethoven, not quite in the league with Nos. 4 and 5 but clearly on a road away from Mozart and Haydn. Beethoven premiered it in 1803 along with his Second Symphony, with himself again as the concerto’s soloist. Here, we get into the more dramatic, more Romantic Beethoven that we all know and love. The piano enters after a rather long-winded introduction, so it needs to be strong and energetic. That introduction, incidentally, is handled perhaps a little more solemnly by Gergiev than I would have liked, but the extra gravitas is probably a good thing. When Buchbinder does finally enter, it is with a grandeur and eloquence fully appropriate to the music. And so it goes. Buchbinder is a mite too reserved and formal for my taste, but he has an appealingly old-fashioned style to his playing that should offend no one.

The second disc concludes with the Piano Concerto Nos. 4 in G major, Op. 58, with Christian Thielemann and the Dresden Staatskapelle. The Fourth Concerto is among the most mature of Beethoven’s piano concertos, as well as one of his most popular. He finished it in 1806 and premiered it in 1807 during a private concert along with his Fourth Symphony. Its first public concert came the next year in a monumental outing along with the Fifth and Sixth Symphonies and the Choral Fantasy. It would also be Beethoven’s last public appearance as a soloist, so he went out swinging. The piano enters immediately, and Buchbinder makes the most of it, establishing an imposing command of the score. He pretty much tells you “this is my music, and I don’t care if you like what I’m doing or not.” Again, I found his manner a touch too distant for my liking, but there is no denying his supreme mastery of the piano, and there is an especially deep-felt understanding of the music of the final movement.

The Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major, Op. 73, “Emperor” gets the entire third disc to itself, which only seems apropos given the majesty and scope of its music, with Buchbinder accompanied by Riccardo Muti and the Vienna Philharmonic. Beethoven wrote the “Emperor” Concerto between 1809-1810 and published it in 1811. The extended solo and orchestral introduction should have a grand and imposing presence, which Buchbinder, Muti, and the magnificent Vienna Phil accomplish with ease. It’s a big, warmhearted performance that should please most classical listeners, although it adds little to what has already been done successfully many times. I enjoyed and admired the reading while not really feeling a need to revisit it. In other words, even though it’s competent, well thought out, and well played, it seemed a trifle too mechanical to me, too perfect, not daring enough. Even the slow middle movement seemed too reserved and aloof to me, never quite reaching the expressive depths I had hoped for. Nevertheless, these are mere quibbles compared to Buchbinder and company’s unwavering sincerity and flawless execution of the score.

Producers Philipp Nedel and Florian Rosensteiner and engineers Christian Gorz and Matthias Erb recorded the concertos live at the Musikverein, Vienna and the Kulturepalast Dresden in October, November, and December 2019 and October 2020. Considering the different venues involved, the sound is pretty consistent thanks, I suppose, to the same two producers and engineers involved. It sounds particularly good for live recordings, the First Concerto appearing quite lifelike, without being too close up, one-dimensional, or overly bright. The Second Concerto sounds a tad more steely in the upper midrange and treble, but it’s still more than acceptable. The Third Concerto seems a bit warmer and softer than the preceding two, which works in its favor as a more-mature piece of music. By the Fourth Concerto, I was either getting used to the sound or it was improving dramatically. This one sounds almost exactly like a good studio recording. Finally, we come to the Fifth Piano Concerto, the “Emperor,” where the sound is a little less natural than in the Fourth, slightly harder through the midrange and a mite softer in the bass. Still and all, the sound of all five concertos is, as I say, quite good for live recordings and better than most.

JJP

To listen to a brief excerpt from this album, click below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be published after review.

Meet the Staff

Meet the Staff
John J. Puccio, Founder and Contributor

Understand, I'm just an everyday guy reacting to something I love. And I've been doing it for a very long time, my appreciation for classical music starting with the musical excerpts on the Big Jon and Sparkie radio show in the early Fifties and the purchase of my first recording, The 101 Strings Play the Classics, around 1956. In the late Sixties I began teaching high school English and Film Studies as well as becoming interested in hi-fi, my audio ambitions graduating me from a pair of AR-3 speakers to the Fulton J's recommended by The Stereophile's J. Gordon Holt. In the early Seventies, I began writing for a number of audio magazines, including Audio Excellence, Audio Forum, The Boston Audio Society Speaker, The American Record Guide, and from 1976 until 2008, The $ensible Sound, for which I served as Classical Music Editor.

Today, I'm retired from teaching and use a pair of bi-amped VMPS RM40s loudspeakers for my listening. In addition to writing for the Classical Candor blog, I served as the Movie Review Editor for the Web site Movie Metropolis (formerly DVDTown) from 1997-2013. Music and movies. Life couldn't be better.

Karl Nehring, Editor and Contributor

For more than 20 years I was the editor of The $ensible Sound magazine and a regular contributor to both its equipment and recordings review pages. I would not presume to present myself as some sort of expert on music, but I have a deep love for and appreciation of many types of music, "classical" especially, and have listened to thousands of recordings over the years, many of which still line the walls of my listening room (and occasionally spill onto the furniture and floor, much to the chagrin of my long-suffering wife). I have always taken the approach as a reviewer that what I am trying to do is simply to point out to readers that I have come across a recording that I have found of interest, a recording that I think they might appreciate my having pointed out to them. I suppose that sounds a bit simple-minded, but I know I appreciate reading reviews by others that do the same for me — point out recordings that they think I might enjoy.

For readers who might be wondering about what kind of system I am using to do my listening, I should probably point out that I do a LOT of music listening and employ a variety of means to do so in a variety of environments, as I would imagine many music lovers also do. Starting at the more grandiose end of the scale, the system in which I do my most serious listening comprises Marantz CD 6007 and Onkyo CD 7030 CD players, NAD C 658 streaming preamp/DAC, Legacy Audio PowerBloc2 amplifier, and a pair of Legacy Audio Focus SE loudspeakers. I occasionally do some listening through pair of Sennheiser 560S headphones. I miss the excellent ELS Studio sound system in our 2016 Acura RDX (now my wife's daily driver) on which I had ripped more than a hundred favorite CDs to the hard drive, so now when driving my 2022 Accord EX-L Hybrid I stream music from my phone through its adequate but not outstanding factory system. For more casual listening at home when I am not in my listening room, I often stream music through the phone into a Vizio soundbar system that has tolerably nice sound for such a diminutive physical presence. And finally, at the least grandiose end of the scale, I have an Ultimate Ears Wonderboom II Bluetooth speaker for those occasions where I am somewhere by myself without a sound system but in desperate need of a musical fix. I just can’t imagine life without music and I am humbly grateful for the technology that enables us to enjoy it in so many wonderful ways.

William (Bill) Heck, Webmaster and Contributor

Among my early childhood memories are those of listening to my mother playing records (some even 78 rpm ones!) of both classical music and jazz tunes. I suppose that her love of music was transmitted genetically, and my interest was sustained by years of playing in rock bands – until I realized that this was no way to make a living. The interest in classical music was rekindled in grad school when the university FM station serving as background music for studying happened to play the Brahms First Symphony. As the work came to an end, it struck me forcibly that this was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard, and from that point on, I never looked back. This revelation was to the detriment of my studies, as I subsequently spent way too much time simply listening, but music has remained a significant part of my life. These days, although I still can tell a trumpet from a bassoon and a quarter note from a treble clef, I have to admit that I remain a nonexpert. But I do love music in general and classical music in particular, and I enjoy sharing both information and opinions about it.

The audiophile bug bit about the same time that I returned to classical music. I’ve gone through plenty of equipment, brands from Audio Research to Yamaha, and the best of it has opened new audio insights. Along the way, I reviewed components, and occasionally recordings, for The $ensible Sound magazine. Most recently I’ve moved to my “ultimate system” consisting of a BlueSound Node streamer, an ancient Toshiba multi-format disk player serving as a CD transport, Legacy Wavelet II DAC/preamp/crossover, dual Legacy PowerBloc2 amps, and Legacy Signature SE speakers (biamped), all connected with decently made, no-frills cables. With the arrival of CD and higher resolution streaming, that is now the source for most of my listening.

Ryan Ross, Contributor

I started listening to and studying classical music in earnest nearly three decades ago. This interest grew naturally out of my training as a pianist. I am now a musicologist by profession, specializing in British and other symphonic music of the 19th and 20th centuries. My scholarly work has been published in major music journals, as well as in other outlets. Current research focuses include twentieth-century symphonic historiography, and the music of Jean Sibelius, Ralph Vaughan Williams, and Malcolm Arnold.

I am honored to contribute writings to Classical Candor. In an age where the classical recording industry is being subjected to such profound pressures and changes, it is more important than ever for those of us steeped in this cultural tradition to continue to foster its love and exposure. I hope that my readers can find value, no matter how modest, in what I offer here.


Bryan Geyer, Technical Analyst

I initially embraced classical music in 1954 when I mistuned my car radio and heard the Heifetz recording of Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto. That inspired me to board the new "hi-fi" DIY bandwagon. In 1957 I joined one of the pioneer semiconductor makers and spent the next 32 years marketing transistors and microcircuits to military contractors. Home audio DIY projects remained a personal passion until 1989 when we created our own new photography equipment company. I later (2012) revived my interest in two channel audio when we "downsized" our life and determined that mini-monitors + paired subwoofers were a great way to mate fine music with the space constraints of condo living.

Visitors that view my technical papers on this site may wonder why they appear here, rather than on a site that features audio equipment reviews. My reason is that I tried the latter, and prefer to publish for people who actually want to listen to music; not to equipment. My focus is in describing what's technically beneficial to assure that the sound of the system will accurately replicate the source input signal (i. e. exhibit high accuracy) without inordinate cost and complexity. Conversely, most of the audiophiles of today strive to achieve sound that's euphonic, i.e. be personally satisfying. In essence, audiophiles seek sound that's consistent with their desire; the music is simply a test signal.

Mission Statement

It is the goal of Classical Candor to promote the enjoyment of classical music. Other forms of music come and go--minuets, waltzes, ragtime, blues, jazz, bebop, country-western, rock-'n'-roll, heavy metal, rap, and the rest--but classical music has been around for hundreds of years and will continue to be around for hundreds more. It's no accident that every major city in the world has one or more symphony orchestras.

When I was young, I heard it said that only intellectuals could appreciate classical music, that it required dedicated concentration to appreciate. Nonsense. I'm no intellectual, and I've always loved classical music. Anyone who's ever seen and enjoyed Disney's Fantasia or a Looney Tunes cartoon playing Rossini's William Tell Overture or Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 can attest to the power and joy of classical music, and that's just about everybody.

So, if Classical Candor can expand one's awareness of classical music and bring more joy to one's life, more power to it. It's done its job. --John J. Puccio

Contact Information

Readers with polite, courteous, helpful letters may send them to classicalcandor@gmail.com

Readers with impolite, discourteous, bitchy, whining, complaining, nasty, mean-spirited, unhelpful letters may send them to classicalcandor@recycle.bin.

"Their Master's Voice" by Michael Sowa

"Their Master's Voice" by Michael Sowa