Downsize, Upsize (Part I)

by Karl Nehring

 

We have lived in our rural home for 45 years. Within a year or so of settling in, I purchased a pair of KEF 105 loudspeakers. Although over the preceding years I had owned several pairs of speakers with good performance, the bass capability and overall sense of ease that the KEFs brought to my listening room increased my enjoyment of music and convinced me that large speakers were the way to go given my fondness for large-scale orchestral works by Mahler, Shostakovich, Vaughan Williams, et al. Since then, I have owned or had in house for an extended length of time (I was the editor of an audio magazine for nearly three decades) several pairs of relatively large loudspeakers. However, about a year and a half ago I decided that after all those years of large speakers, it might finally be time to downsize from the pair I owned at that time, my beloved Legacy Audio Focus SEs (pictured) – and therein lies a tale…

 

First, however, a bit of background. The first stereo my family ever acquired was one of those little systems sold by salesmen who would come into your home and give a sales pitch for stereophonic sound by playing some demonstration tracks, the highlight of which was the ping-pong track, where we could hear the ball flying back and forth across our living room. Amazing! The record player was made –or at least branded – by a watch company (Longine’s or Bulova as I recall), and came with boxed sets of records from Reader’s Digest. My parents purchased several of these boxes, which were organized by musical category. I can’t remember them all, but there was an orchestral set that served as my introduction to classical music; I can still vividly recall being swept away by Debussy’s La Mer and being amazed that someone could compose something so breathtaking.

 

Our new stereo system came right around the time of the British Invasion, so of course even though we now had several boxes of records to listen to, we begged for some rock & roll records to play on our new stereo. A few days later, my mother came home from work with Beatles ‘65 and Mr. Tambourine Man by the Byrds. I played them over and over again, soon knowing every lyric by heart. By hearing them in stereo, I was struck by how goofy the stereo mix for the Beatles was – voices in one channel, guitars in the other. What the heck?! I soon made my first record purchase, Bringing It All Back Home by Bob Dylan. I thought it was the most profound thing I had ever heard; however, it drove my father up the wall, and before long, I was forbidden to play any Bob Dylan records when he was home. This system was also the one on which I played my first classical purchase, the Reiner/Chicago recording of Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 6. My high school band, in which I played bass clarinet,  was preparing a wind arrangement of the march movement for the Indiana state band contest, and I had become fascinated by the music and wanted to hear the whole symphony in its original form. Our band got the highest score in the state and the Pathetique is still one of my favorite symphonies.

 

Within a couple of years our family life was drastically changed when my father died suddenly from a heart attack. We wound up moving from our house on a one-acre lot to an apartment. I don’t recall what happened to our first stereo, but now we had one of those all-in-one TV/stereo consoles (a Motorola, I’m pretty sure). I was buying plenty records, mostly rock, although I also purchased my first jazz recording, New View by saxophonist John Handy, which also featured Bobby Hutcherson on vibes. A technological highlight of the console stereo was the reverb dial, which allowed you to add artificial reverberation to whatever you were playing. Adding just a touch to some of those rather dry rock recordings could make them sound a little more pleasant, but for whatever reason I would occasionally find myself getting into a mood that would result in my putting on Bob Dylan’s song “Visions of Johanna” and cranking the reverb dial way up. It was frightening.

 

Then it was off to college the first time with, alas, no stereo of my own in my dorm room, although I had taken some favorite LPs with me and occasionally got to listen to them on the console setup in the commons room. A really poor semester cost me my Honors Program scholarship and left me on academic probation (in hindsight, I now realize I was deeply depressed), I headed back home, where my mother and sisters had moved from the apartment into a house in another town. Then my mother got sick, couldn’t work, I worked full time and took care of her and my four younger sisters, and we moved into another house, where she became completely bedridden. On the good old Motorola console late some evenings evening I played the Blood Sweat and Tears album with David Clayton-Thomas, which my mother thought was wonderful until I showed her the cover and she was crestfallen to see they were “just a bunch of hippies.” Still, that console provided plenty of musical enjoyment for us both, along with mental and emotional sustenance that we both needed. 


But her condition continued to worsen. She was transported to a hospital in Chicago, then finally to a rest home in Rogers Park, near her father. Driving home from seeing her after what had been a deeply emotional visit, I listened to the Apollo 11 coverage on the car radio. On July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. On July 21, my mother passed away. By the end of August, my sisters had been taken care of and I had purchased a little Allied Radio stereo system to load into the trunk of the Chevy Impala I inherited from my mother so that I could have music in my dorm room this time around.

 

Unfortunately, I still could not get my academic act together. I got high grades in a couple of classes, but failed to complete the rest. I went from academic probation to academic suspension. The one bright spot of that whole experience was meeting a young woman named Marilyn, with whom I immediately hit it off. We began dating, discovering that we had a lot in common – especially our love for and tastes in music, and in the summer of 1970 I would drive from Indiana to Ohio to visit her. We were seriously in love, but there was one little problem: the Selective Service folks now realized that I was no longer eligible for the hardship deferment I had received for taking care of my sisters while my mother was ill, and my miserable academic record meant that a student deferment was out of the question. I had been included in the first draft lottery and drawn the draft number 111. In July, 1970, I visited my draft board to verify that the official change of my draft status to 1A was in the works and would probably occur within a couple of weeks – and they were drafting numbers around 150 or so. I asked the woman ay the draft board whether there was a recruiting office in town; she replied that there was one upstairs above the drugstore right across the street. 


I crossed the street, climbed the stairs, and asked the Army recruiter whether he had anything that would keep me from going to Vietnam. He asked me whether I could score well on tests – I may have been suspended from college, but test-taking was always a breeze for me. I scored high on the tests, which made me eligible to sign up for Pershing missiles, which meant I could only be stationed in Germany or Oklahoma. I joined the Army in August (Marilyn and I had a serious discussion and agreed we would get married when I completed my service in three years), called Marilyn from a phone booth at Ft. Lewis after about my third day of basic training to say we should get married sooner because I had found out it was feasible to live as a married Army couple in Germany), got engaged over Christmas, then I said goodbye and headed to Germany in January, 1971.

 

By now, my guess is that many – perhaps most – readers are wondering what any of this has to do with speakers. Quite a bit, actually. Because Marilyn and I were both devoted music lovers, I knew our future apartment would have to have a decent stereo system. So a couple of months before returning to the states to get married, I went with my best buddy and his wife down to the Audio Club at Patch Barracks in Stuttgart, where audio equipment was available at a discount to military personnel. There I bought my first component system, which comprised a Philips turntable with an Elac cartridge, a Kenwood receiver rated at 23 watts per channel, and a pair of Wharfedale bookshelf speakers. I can’t recall the model, but they were two-way sealed design with a woofer in the 6-8” range. We set up the system in my friends’ apartment (mine was not yet ready) so they could enjoy it until I came back with Marilyn. We put on American Beautyby the Grateful Dead and were floored by how good it sounded. The Wharfedales were surprisingly nice little speakers.

 

But life was changing fast. I was getting promotions, I was getting married and moving out of the barracks into an apartment, and I had discovered Mahler and Beethoven. Not only that, I had made some return visits to the Audio Club, started reading stereo magazines, and had caught the audiophile bug. As nice as the Wharfedales were, they would not remain in my system for long. Early in 1972, I re-enlisted for three more years in the Army and then used part of my re-enlistment bonus to purchase the speakers of my dreams, the original Bose 901s. Thus began more than 50 years of speaker madness.

 

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be published after review.

Meet the Staff

Meet the Staff
John J. Puccio, Founder and Contributor

Understand, I'm just an everyday guy reacting to something I love. And I've been doing it for a very long time, my appreciation for classical music starting with the musical excerpts on the Big Jon and Sparkie radio show in the early Fifties and the purchase of my first recording, The 101 Strings Play the Classics, around 1956. In the late Sixties I began teaching high school English and Film Studies as well as becoming interested in hi-fi, my audio ambitions graduating me from a pair of AR-3 speakers to the Fulton J's recommended by The Stereophile's J. Gordon Holt. In the early Seventies, I began writing for a number of audio magazines, including Audio Excellence, Audio Forum, The Boston Audio Society Speaker, The American Record Guide, and from 1976 until 2008, The $ensible Sound, for which I served as Classical Music Editor.

Today, I'm retired from teaching and use a pair of bi-amped VMPS RM40s loudspeakers for my listening. In addition to writing for the Classical Candor blog, I served as the Movie Review Editor for the Web site Movie Metropolis (formerly DVDTown) from 1997-2013. Music and movies. Life couldn't be better.

Karl Nehring, Editor and Contributor

For more than 20 years I was the editor of The $ensible Sound magazine and a regular contributor to both its equipment and recordings review pages. I would not presume to present myself as some sort of expert on music, but I have a deep love for and appreciation of many types of music, "classical" especially, and have listened to thousands of recordings over the years, many of which still line the walls of my listening room (and occasionally spill onto the furniture and floor, much to the chagrin of my long-suffering wife). I have always taken the approach as a reviewer that what I am trying to do is simply to point out to readers that I have come across a recording that I have found of interest, a recording that I think they might appreciate my having pointed out to them. I suppose that sounds a bit simple-minded, but I know I appreciate reading reviews by others that do the same for me — point out recordings that they think I might enjoy.

For readers who might be wondering about what kind of system I am using to do my listening, I should probably point out that I do a LOT of music listening and employ a variety of means to do so in a variety of environments, as I would imagine many music lovers also do. Starting at the more grandiose end of the scale, the system in which I do my most serious listening comprises Marantz CD 6007 and Onkyo CD 7030 CD players, NAD C 658 streaming preamp/DAC, Legacy Audio PowerBloc2 amplifier, and a pair of Legacy Audio Focus SE loudspeakers. I occasionally do some listening through pair of Sennheiser 560S headphones. I miss the excellent ELS Studio sound system in our 2016 Acura RDX (now my wife's daily driver) on which I had ripped more than a hundred favorite CDs to the hard drive, so now when driving my 2022 Accord EX-L Hybrid I stream music from my phone through its adequate but not outstanding factory system. For more casual listening at home when I am not in my listening room, I often stream music through the phone into a Vizio soundbar system that has tolerably nice sound for such a diminutive physical presence. And finally, at the least grandiose end of the scale, I have an Ultimate Ears Wonderboom II Bluetooth speaker for those occasions where I am somewhere by myself without a sound system but in desperate need of a musical fix. I just can’t imagine life without music and I am humbly grateful for the technology that enables us to enjoy it in so many wonderful ways.

William (Bill) Heck, Webmaster and Contributor

Among my early childhood memories are those of listening to my mother playing records (some even 78 rpm ones!) of both classical music and jazz tunes. I suppose that her love of music was transmitted genetically, and my interest was sustained by years of playing in rock bands – until I realized that this was no way to make a living. The interest in classical music was rekindled in grad school when the university FM station serving as background music for studying happened to play the Brahms First Symphony. As the work came to an end, it struck me forcibly that this was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard, and from that point on, I never looked back. This revelation was to the detriment of my studies, as I subsequently spent way too much time simply listening, but music has remained a significant part of my life. These days, although I still can tell a trumpet from a bassoon and a quarter note from a treble clef, I have to admit that I remain a nonexpert. But I do love music in general and classical music in particular, and I enjoy sharing both information and opinions about it.

The audiophile bug bit about the same time that I returned to classical music. I’ve gone through plenty of equipment, brands from Audio Research to Yamaha, and the best of it has opened new audio insights. Along the way, I reviewed components, and occasionally recordings, for The $ensible Sound magazine. Most recently I’ve moved to my “ultimate system” consisting of a BlueSound Node streamer, an ancient Toshiba multi-format disk player serving as a CD transport, Legacy Wavelet II DAC/preamp/crossover, dual Legacy PowerBloc2 amps, and Legacy Signature SE speakers (biamped), all connected with decently made, no-frills cables. With the arrival of CD and higher resolution streaming, that is now the source for most of my listening.

Ryan Ross, Contributor

I started listening to and studying classical music in earnest nearly three decades ago. This interest grew naturally out of my training as a pianist. I am now a musicologist by profession, specializing in British and other symphonic music of the 19th and 20th centuries. My scholarly work has been published in major music journals, as well as in other outlets. Current research focuses include twentieth-century symphonic historiography, and the music of Jean Sibelius, Ralph Vaughan Williams, and Malcolm Arnold.

I am honored to contribute writings to Classical Candor. In an age where the classical recording industry is being subjected to such profound pressures and changes, it is more important than ever for those of us steeped in this cultural tradition to continue to foster its love and exposure. I hope that my readers can find value, no matter how modest, in what I offer here.


Bryan Geyer, Technical Analyst

I initially embraced classical music in 1954 when I mistuned my car radio and heard the Heifetz recording of Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto. That inspired me to board the new "hi-fi" DIY bandwagon. In 1957 I joined one of the pioneer semiconductor makers and spent the next 32 years marketing transistors and microcircuits to military contractors. Home audio DIY projects remained a personal passion until 1989 when we created our own new photography equipment company. I later (2012) revived my interest in two channel audio when we "downsized" our life and determined that mini-monitors + paired subwoofers were a great way to mate fine music with the space constraints of condo living.

Visitors that view my technical papers on this site may wonder why they appear here, rather than on a site that features audio equipment reviews. My reason is that I tried the latter, and prefer to publish for people who actually want to listen to music; not to equipment. My focus is in describing what's technically beneficial to assure that the sound of the system will accurately replicate the source input signal (i. e. exhibit high accuracy) without inordinate cost and complexity. Conversely, most of the audiophiles of today strive to achieve sound that's euphonic, i.e. be personally satisfying. In essence, audiophiles seek sound that's consistent with their desire; the music is simply a test signal.

Mission Statement

It is the goal of Classical Candor to promote the enjoyment of classical music. Other forms of music come and go--minuets, waltzes, ragtime, blues, jazz, bebop, country-western, rock-'n'-roll, heavy metal, rap, and the rest--but classical music has been around for hundreds of years and will continue to be around for hundreds more. It's no accident that every major city in the world has one or more symphony orchestras.

When I was young, I heard it said that only intellectuals could appreciate classical music, that it required dedicated concentration to appreciate. Nonsense. I'm no intellectual, and I've always loved classical music. Anyone who's ever seen and enjoyed Disney's Fantasia or a Looney Tunes cartoon playing Rossini's William Tell Overture or Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 can attest to the power and joy of classical music, and that's just about everybody.

So, if Classical Candor can expand one's awareness of classical music and bring more joy to one's life, more power to it. It's done its job. --John J. Puccio

Contact Information

Readers with polite, courteous, helpful letters may send them to classicalcandor@gmail.com

Readers with impolite, discourteous, bitchy, whining, complaining, nasty, mean-spirited, unhelpful letters may send them to classicalcandor@recycle.bin.

"Their Master's Voice" by Michael Sowa

"Their Master's Voice" by Michael Sowa